Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Win for aHUS patients

I apologize to anyone who is following this blog. I have not been faithful in my postings, but I guess that is what happens when life gets back to normal. Between working, all of my child’s afterschool activities and just daily life chores.....it is hard to find time to blog. I do however, have wonderful and great news to share. The drug I am on called Soliris has been FDA approved for the treatment of atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome in children and adults! This is such a huge milestone in the world of medicine and pharmaceuticals. Although I have been blessed to have access to the drug since my transplant in June, I must admit it was a daunting feeling knowing that the government really didn't "approve" of me using this drug. But now it is official!!!! And what I think is even more awesome, is that future Jill's, Alyssa's, Linda's and Hyde's may be able to altogether avoid kidney failure. Who knows what would have happened in January of 2009 when I presented to St. Louis with this disease. I remember them talking about trying to get the Soliris for me then and try to slow the kidney failure, hemolysis, dropping platelets and everything else that was going wrong inside of me, but the drug wasn't FDA approved for my blood disease. I don't dwell on the "what ifs." I think my life turned out the way it was suppose to and I think kidney failure was a chapter in my life for many reasons. I am glad I was a tiny part in the beginning stages of getting this drug approved. And I am (more than words can express) thankful to Alexion, Iowa, the Biermanns and so many others who actually made this happen. Many of you, actually probably all of you, will never know what I am talking about and never have to experience this (thankfully)! But there is a "one in a million person" out there who will. And now their road to recovery will be shorter, less bumpy and possibly avoidable altogether! Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment