Friday, August 26, 2011

Life Changes


The last two weeks have been a roller coaster of changes with our family. First, my baby started Kindergarten. She loves it but I really miss the Pre K days when it wasn't real school yet. It's sad not being able to walk her in the building in the morning. Everything is so official now. But she has a great teacher, is learning a lot and making friends, so I really can't complain. I also stepped back into my role as an Occupational Therapist (part time of course). I love it though and am amazed at how much energy I have during the day with my patients and especially the amount of energy I have after work. It is great to see my kiddos, their sweet parents and my coworkers. I have a fabulous work environment!

On a sad note, I lost my sweet Gracie Mae on August 25. She passed away at 5am that morning. She had been to the Vet earlier in the week and been diagnosed with pneumonia. We were on several meds to help make her better and her prognosis was good. The veterinarian taking care of her said she probably had an aneurysm because of all of the pressure caused by the fluid in her lungs. He said this wasn't a very common occurrence. Which, after thinking about it, she is MY dog and she and I were a pair....rare you might say. I take comfort in the fact that I was there with her, holding her and singing her Gracie song I made up 10 years ago when she was a puppy. She had been through a lot with me. College, OT school, car accident, marriage (she wasn't wild about him because he kicked her out of the bed), baby, more dogs and a cat, and my kidney failure. She was by my side when I was first sick and fighting to stay alive. I remember Chris putting her in bed with me when I was near death. She was always right under my bed once I started dialysis at home. She really wasn't supposed to be there but she was a part of me and would growl if anyone tried to remove her from the room. She protected me. And in the end, I tried to do the same for her. 10 years of my life with her and very sweet memories. That's 1/3 of my life! She is truly one of the dearest, sweetest and most loyal friends I have ever had. And I will miss her greatly. We laid her to rest beside her best dog friend, Gabbie Lou and planted a dogwood tree in her spot. So, she will continue to be in our backyard, keeping a watch on everything. Until I see you again someday, Good bye Gracie Mae, I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment