Saturday, July 23, 2011

Med Box Stress

I have dealt with numerous pills for nearly three years now. So you would think it would be a very non stressful event. But there is a BIG difference in my dialysis meds and my transplant meds. For one, I take twice as many now. Which that’s not the problem. They all look similar and change in doses frequently. As a disclaimer, I would like to add I am not complaining, in fact, it is a blessing to be at the stage that I am taking anti rejection meds. I think because my life truly depends on these meds now it totally stresses me out every week when I sit down to fill up the pill box. I currently take 17 pills in the morning and 9 pills at night. They are all really important and I am so afraid I will screw one of them up, and very quickly that could lead to very serious and dangerous consequences. I don't work as well under pressure. Chris, fortunately, has every medication memorized by both names, mg, and frequency during the day. Problem is, he likes to "supervise" me as I fill up the pill box and makes me more nervous. In all honesty, I wish he would just do it for me. Not because I am lazy, but I trust him more than I myself. He says he doesn't because he loves me and wants me to know what’s going in my body. And with time, I'll have them all memorized. It's just overwhelming right now. Next week, I go to the pharmacy here at home for my first refill since Iowa. And I am pretty sure that Iowa gave me the Non-generic drugs and I will be getting the generic drugs now. Which will look different and have different names. But hey, if this is the biggest problem I have, life must be good! I really can't complain. Lots of people have asked me about my medication regimen so after filling the pill box up tonight for the upcoming week; I thought I would share my current experiences with my meds. Luckily, I don't seem to be having any negative side effects from any of the drugs. Only one of my anti rejection meds makes me itch really bad if I go outside and get hot...but I am an indoor, AC kinda girl anyway....so that's not really an issue. This time next month I will probably have them all memorized. I actually prefer to NOT use the pill box and just open each pill bottle I need daily as needed. But with the number of meds I am on right now, it's probably wise to use the pill box. I keep telling myself, Jill, you have a Masters Degree; you can do this and not mess it up. I think just because my life depends on it adds a totally new layer of stress to the situation! Pray for me and my pills!!! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hi.. I had a kidney transplant almost 6 years ago and totally understand what you are going through with all the medicines and how important that are.. I used to get so nervous because I was young and wanted to do stuff by myself but did not want to mess up at all. One thing that helped me was pretty much not using the med box at all until I got comfortable with all the meds and frequent changes. It let me see exactly what I was getting at every dose even though it did take a while.. eventually it will because pretty much second nature!

    Congrats on your new kidney!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete