Friday, July 29, 2011

My New Residence

Someone asked me today if I was still on cloud nine? And I said, Cloud Nine is my New Permanent Residence. I don't ever plan on leaving this new place in life...that is until I go to Heaven! But life is truly extraordinary the second time around. I guess I didn't know how to enjoy or appreciate life before. My cloud nine residence takes a lot of work to maintain though. Although I won't go into the specifics, being a transplant patient with a very rare blood disease and one of 3-4 adults who have ever successfully have a transplant with this disease, means I'm am diving into uncharted waters. I am boldly going where few have gone before. My aHUS friends have been fortunate enough to have had their transplant in their hometown or very close by. The 8 hour distance between my transplant team and me throws extra excitement and difficulty into the mix. I know I am helping pave the way for future aHUS patients. So as long as I know I am doing it to help others and save my kidney, I will do whatever it takes to keep this kidney up and running. Logistically there is so much involved. And there are a lot of people involved. My entire Iowa transplant team led by Dr. Thomas, Erin my post transplant coordinator, Dr. Step in Memphis, PCP here in town, Home Health nurses, Pharmacists, Soliris people, Medco, insurance people from many different areas and this is just the tip of the iceberg. But I knew this was going to be a job. But it is definitely a job worth doing and doing it perfectly!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment